Pages

Translate

Thursday, January 30, 2020

30 Day OD&D Challenge - Eldritch Wizardry - Artifacts & Relics (Part Three) - Day Twenty-Nine

Today's Topic is "Eldritch Wizardry - Artifacts & Relics - Part Three" as we continue our celebration of International Original Dungeons and Dragons Month!

Eldritch Wizardry goes further saying this about Artifacts and Relics:
All artifacts and relics are one-of-a-kind. It is usually very difficult to destroy them (after all most of them have been around for thousands of years), and anyone who attempts to take apart an artifact for any reasons usually dies as a result. The owners of artifacts eventually become greedy, possessive and secretive, first solely in respect to the treasured item, then with regard to all possessions.
The one-of-a-kind part I am about 98% on board with and I will talk about the other 2% tomorrow as I address my view of Artifacts & Relics. Making it very difficult to destroy Artifacts and Relics is in my view exactly the way to go, in fact IMC all magic items are harder to destroy than the way most versions of D&D view the subject. For instance a legendary Artifact level Holy Sword is virtually impossible to destroy.

The closing part of the owner/wielder of artifacts becoming
greedy, possessive and secretive, first solely in respect to the treasured item, then with regard to all possessions.
Is something that I look at on a case by case basis. For an evil or chaotic item or even for a neutral item that makes perfect sense to me. But for Lawful or Good items, in many cases it would not make sense to me. For instance for a legendary Artifact level Holy Sword to make a Paladin greedy, possessive, and secretive would be a contradiction to the whole purpose.

Tomorrow in my last post in this series, I will talk about how I run Artifacts, Relics and near/future Artifacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment