Pages

Translate

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Arduin Week (Day One) 2021

It is that time of year when we remember Dave Hargrave and Arduin (both the game and the campaign world).

It is always odd to me that people thought it was out there or controversial or anything of the sort. From the first time I laid eyes on The Arduin Grimoire (Volume One) 


it always seemed to me that this was a very logical evolution of Dungeons & Dragons.  Arduin started as a D&D campaign and was forced to go beyond those roots and become its own thing due to, IMO, short sightedness on the part of TSR. Me, I would have offered Hargrave a job and have published The Arduin Grimoire as the ultimate grab bag of ideas.Of course I would have down the same thing with Arneson's material. A dozen ways of doing each thing, false starts and all. It would have been a treasure. Fortunately Hargrave was no shrinking violet and The whole nine volume series of the Arduin Grimoires was the result. Volume nine, which I have never seen (YET) was the only volume that was not entirely Hargrave. IIRC both volume eight and nine were posthumous.

No comments:

Post a Comment