Pages

Translate

Sunday, March 13, 2011

A few game notes from December 2009.

This is an old post that was sitting in the draft bucket and I somehow missed it: This is from December of 2009.

In my current campaign, my December game, only my 16 year old player could make it - so I ran a solo game for him. At one point he is exploring a portion of a dungeon and he forces a door and goes into a room where there is a fairly substantial treasure and I had placed a real monster of an ogre in the room as the guardian and instead of being a max of 25 HP this ogre had 60 HP. The Character was a 3rd level fighter with 14 HP and no bonuses at all except a magic sword +1 and magic chainmail +1. I gave him an opportunity to back out of the room and flee, but he didn't take it - he advanced to fight.

(Now in all of our previous games, this kid rolled so poorly I was really beginning to feel badly about it and so earlier this particular evening I picked up the dice that he had been throwing an average of 6 on a d20 in the previous games and I rolled it 10 times and averaged about 15. Then I handed it to him and told him that as long as he rolled it and made it bounce around like I did he would have a great evening and some stories to tell the next time we got together.)

Back to the fight - he tackled that ogre and started rolling like you never saw before. He beat the ogre in a straight up one on one fight. Now one thing I do is if you roll a 20 I let you roll again and if it is another 20 you get double damage against a higher level monster. Well right in the middle of this fight after rolling a couple of 18's, a 16 and a 17, he then rolls a double 20 and the max of 6 points damage doubled plus 1 for the sword for 13 points. Now he was down to 1 HP himself at the end, but he didn't roll anything on the d20 less than a 14 and he rolled on the d6 a 4 or better on every roll. He was on a high after that and ended up making quite a haul for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment