Pages

Translate

Friday, December 26, 2014

OD&D meets 5E or Christmas brings me a big Surprise!

I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas! I sure did!  This Christmas was spent with my wife's sister and as usual my sister-in-law managed to come up with a gift that surprised the time out of me.

She got me the new 5E DMG,  yeah she has never played  an rpg of any type and in the past when my wife has brought up D&D in the conversation my sister-in-laws comments were not on the positive side of the ledger. :) And yet she got me the new DMG because she knows a few years back I had to sell off a lot of my RPG items and she thought I would like it. I do like it and now, especially since I have heard a fair number of positive comments about it, I will have to take a closer look at the game than  I had ever intended to. Just a quick glance in the Introduction part of the book, brought to light a number of old school concepts mentioned right off the bat. So it looks like it could be used to lead someone down the old school path. That is cool my friends! So I will be looking for stuff that I can steal and use IMC. :)

2 comments:

  1. I got the DMG5 for Christmas also... I should really post a photo and join the club. I agree, a lot of old school inside it's covers. It's also written for new D&D players, in a modern (non Gygaxian) style. For the most part it's easy to understand. The occasional paragraph could be edited for clarity. Overall it's a great introduction to running a game of D&D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! From just a quick glimpse through it, it looks pretty readable also from the standpoint that I didn't see text over pictures.

    ReplyDelete